100th Anniversary Celebration
The Civic Club of Shippensburg celebrated their 100th anniversary September 10, 2011. This special event was to be held in the gardens at the Court House in Shippensburg but because of the inclement weather was graciously hosted by the Memorial Lutheran Church in Shippensburg. It was a fun filled afternoon with performances by the Town Band and Barbershop Quartet of Towne Singers plus refreshments from Kathy's Deli.
Welcome to the Shippensburg Civic Club
The Civic Club was organized in 1911 with the objective to develop the educational and civic interest of its members and to advance the welfare of the community. Initially the club met in homes, churches, the YMCA or any available space. At a meeting in 1920 a motion was made that receipts from a November rummage sale be set aside as a beginning of a clubhouse fund. The Club currently has 92 members, many of whom are very active in the various Committees that make up the Club. The Court House Committee has the responsibility for the preservation and maintenance of the Court House and its antique furnishings. Court House Docents also provide tours during the year with an Open House each month from May through December.
The Garden Committee maintains the gardens and grounds surrounding the building and also provides tours to individuals and groups.
There are six regular meetings of the club during the year - the Program Committee was established to select and present programs which represent the interest of the membership. The Public Relations Committee prepares news releases to inform the community of the club activities. Ways and Means committee plans and carries out events that will provide financial support for the various club projects. The Welfare Committee plans and directs welfare activities for the Club.